How To Schedule Automatic Windows Update Installation With Reboot Restore Rx Pro (Version 11)
Posted by Kurtis Smejkal on 26 Jul 2019
Reboot Restore Rx Pro (formerly Drive Vaccine) was updated to Version 11; and when it did it brought a lot of new features to our baseline management features, and in particular Windows Update management. If you're using Version 10 you'll want to consult its guide for automatic Windows Update installation. That guide can be found HERE.
This guide is meant to guide you through how to configure the program to install Windows Updates automatically on a schedule with an explanation on what the various features and options offer as well as recommended best practices.
Either when preparing to deploy or installing the program through a single setup, one of the first things you'll need to do is configure Reboot Restore Rx Pro Version 11 to accept Windows 10 Feature Updates. The program by default will accept other Windows Updates but we need to ensure that the program is configured to handle the Feature Updates. To do so:
Configuring A Schedule
Once you've configured the program to accept Feature Updates you can proceed to set up a schedule. Here's how:
1. First thing you'll need to do is to check the box for Windows Update installation.
2. You can also select how to install other updates for third-party programs and services (i.e. Anti-Virus, Web Browser, Java, etc). We have a guide on how to set this up HERE.
3. Next, you choose whether you wish to install the updates on a particular day, every day, or manually. If you choose every day or a particular day, you then have to choose a time frame. Do note the time is in 24 hours. If you're running updates manually, you don't need to set a schedule. Just select 'Run Schedule Now' whenever you wish to install pending updates.
4. Optionally you can select to lock the screen. This ensures that the update process is not disrupted and that users are aware that it's updating.
5. Shutdown commands can be ran once the update is complete to conserve on power.
Once you've set everything up you're ready for the program to automatically install updates for you!
Here at Horizon DataSys we are often asked what the recommended configuration is for this setting. What we recommend is a 4-5 hour window once a week. It's best to schedule this at a time when users are not using the machine. We also recommend locking the screen with the program set to shut the machine down once updates are complete.
If you're finding that not all updates are installing, you can increase the time period by an hour or two to give the program enough time to install the updates.
For any further questions and/or comments about Windows Updates or our software; please Submit a Ticket and a Senior Technician will respond to you within 24 business hours.